Today LEGO unveiled the massive and heavily-rumored 10261 Creator Expert Roller Coaster. Clocking in at 4,124 pieces, the set includes 11 minifigures, new red track, and a functioning chain-lift. The huge set will retail for $379.99 USD beginning May 16 for LEGO VIPs followed by general availability on June 1.
Ever since the introduction of the new roller coaster system in 70922 Joker Manor, track pieces have appeared in LEGO City Mining, Marvel Black Panther, Speed Champions, and even an upcoming Pirate-themed Creator set. These pieces stoked the rumor that a massive roller coaster was coming, and LEGO has delivered.
A natural follow-up to the Creator Expert 10257 Carousel and 10247 Ferris Wheel, the roller coaster is BIG and dwarfs its fairground brothers in size. The behemoth measures over 20” (53cm) high, 34” (88cm) wide and 16” (41cm) deep. That is almost as big as laying out a total of six standard 32×32 baseplates, three wide and two deep.
The set comes with the red and white coaster, two car trains, a photo booth, a cotton candy stand, and even a lost orange hat at the base of the coaster.
The roller coaster comes with 44 pieces of red track consisting of seven different rail pieces including a new steeper slope element. The long chain lift (with a total of 203 links, a number inflating the piece count considerably) and push wheels are operated by a hand crank, though the roller coaster is instantly compatible with LEGO Power Functions and is even “Boost-able” to incorporate a motion sensor and sound effects.
Previously, The Brothers Brick attempted to power the roller coaster from Joker Manor using a chain lift to great success, though it is a relief to see that LEGO has accounted for wear on the pieces by suspending the chain slightly above the track. The loading platform also includes a sliding portion of track for loading a second train of cars.
The best way to get a feel for the size and functionality of this set is to see it in action. Here is a demonstration video from LEGO showing the roller coaster set in motion and how easy it will be to power it.
The eleven minifigures include a plethora of pieces in new colors and prints, in addition to the ingenious use of an upside-down pink beehive and minifigue head to represent cotton candy. Eagle-eyed fans might also be able to spot a formerly BrickHeadz-exclusive piece used for an internal gate.
The ride operators interestingly have LEGO Store printed yellow uniforms, a subtle suggestion that this set could be meant to represent a LEGOLAND ride (which makes sense given this is the 50th anniversary year of the original park). Each minifigure adds to the overall charm of the set, though we are particularly delighted with the frightened grandpa who was brave enough to go on a coaster ride anyway.
10261 Creator Expert Roller Coaster will no doubt be in high demand when it is released. This is the first set to have LEGO VIP early access since the UCS Millennium Falcon (momentarily in stock at Amazon) so we hope the company has learned its lesson and has enough product available May 16.
As a side note, even with sales down last year, it seems LEGO is still betting on going big with premium sets targeted to affluent buyers and AFOLs. The Creator Expert Roller Coaster edges out the Disney Castle for 7th place on our list of the top 13 largest LEGO sets (with some iteration of the sets all available for purchase from LEGO simultaneously by the end of 2018).
75192: Millennium Falcon; 7,541 pieces; $799.99 (read our review)
10256 Taj Mahal; 5,923 pieces; $369.99 (read our review)
70620 Ninjago City; 4,867 pieces; $299.99 (read our review)
75827 Firehouse Headquarters; 4,634 pieces; $349.99 (read our review)
10214 Tower Bridge; 4,287 pieces; $239.99
10253 Big Ben; 4,163 pieces; $249.99 (read our review)
10261 Roller Coaster; 4,124 pieces; $379.99 (available May 16)
71040 Disney Castle; 4,080 pieces; $349.99 (read our review)
75159 Death Star; 4,016 pieces; $499.99
10255 Assembly Square; 4,002 pieces; $279.99 (read our review)
42055 Bucket Wheel Excavator; 3,929 pieces; $279.99
42083 Bugatti Chiron; 3,599 pieces (available Aug. 1)
70922 Joker Manor; 3,444 pieces; $269.99 (read our review)
The full press release for the new roller coaster, a stop motion video, and a complete photo gallery are included below.
10261 LEGO Creator Expert: Roller Coaster
4,124 pieces | Ages 16+ | LEGO VIP Availability May 16 | General Availability June 1
$379.99 US – $479.99 CN – DE 329.99€ – FR 349.99€ – UK £299.99 – DK 2699DKK
Take a ride with the ultimate Roller Coaster!
Enjoy the thrills and excitement of the fairground with this chain-lift Roller Coaster featuring a wealth of brick-built details and 11 minifigures. Upgradable with LEGO® Power Functions and LEGO BOOST for an added movement sensor and realistic sound effects!
Capture the speed, thrills and excitement of the ultimate fairground attraction with this incredible LEGO® Creator Expert 10261 Roller Coaster. This fully functional chain-lift model comes with 2 trains and an array of authentic features and functions, including a ticket booth, cotton candy cart, concession stand, height marker, and a covered boarding station complete with opening barriers and a control panel. Lower the lap bars to secure the riders into the cars and release the brake to send the train to the foot of the first climb. Then activate the chain lift and enjoy the ride as the gravity-driven cars hurtle through the Roller Coaster’s twists and turns.
Upgrade the Roller Coaster with LEGO Power functions for a motorized chain lift or LEGO BOOST for an added movement sensor and realistic sound effects! This incredible collectible toy has been designed to provide a challenging and rewarding building experience with a touch of nostalgia and charm. Includes 11 minifigures.
- Build a fully functioning Roller Coaster with 2 trains, lots of big dips and upgrade options
- Upgrade with LEGO® BOOST and LEGO Power Functions for an even more immersive experience
- Roller Coaster model measures over 20” (53cm) high, 34” (88cm) wide and 16” (41cm) deep
- LEGO® Creator Expert building toys are compatible with all LEGO construction sets for creative building
- Includes 11 minifigures: a cotton candy vendor, 2 ride attendants, 2 grandparents with their granddaughter and 5 riders. 8 of these minifigures feature reversible heads to display different emotions.
- Fully functional chain-lift Roller Coaster model features a classic brick-built sign, control panel, 2 trains—each consisting of 3 train cars with low-friction wheels, and a 44-piece track consisting of 7 different rail elements.
- Also features a ticket booth, fountain, cotton candy cart, concession stand, waiting area with bench, camera element and a pond with a frog figure.
- Buy your ticket at the booth and make your way to the covered plaza.
- No cheating at the height marker—the ride attendant has an accurate measuring stick!
- Help the riders into the cars and secure the lap bars.
- Release the brake to send the cars to the foot of the first climb.
- Activate the chain lift to pull the train cars to the top of the first drop.
- Move the rails to launch a second train.
- Serve refreshing beverages at the concession stand or spin some cotton candy.
- Don’t forget to smile as you race past the camera!
- Upgrade the Roller Coaster with LEGO® Power Functions for a motorized chain lift, or with LEGO BOOST for automated chain lift activation and realistic sound effects!
- Decorated elements include a ticket, money, arrow tiles, pressure gauge, number pad and a ride control panel.
- Special new-for-June-2018 elements include a 2x8x6 Rail Slope, 1x2x1 Bow Brick, plant leaves, stalks and flowers.
- Other elements include a height checker and 2 cotton candy treats.
- Makes the perfect fairground addition to the 10257 LEGO® Creator Expert Carousel and 10247 LEGO® Creator Expert Ferris Wheel
- Measures over 20” (53cm) high, 34” (88cm) wide and 16” (41cm) deep.
The post LEGO unveils massive 10261 Creator Expert Roller Coaster [News] appeared first on The Brothers Brick.