Yuval Noah Harari extract: ‘Humans have always lived in the age of post-truth. We’re a post-truth species’
DevBlog #10 - Year One
It has been exactly 1 year (and 1 day) since we announced we were working on Risk of Rain 2.This update isn’t going to be about specific new systems or content, but about the overall cadence of development and what our goals are going forward.
Where are we in development?
A majority of the time spent in the last year was working on backend systems to better support the full game, and we feel that that is finally coming to completion. We are hoping to focus on content and polish throughout the next year, and prepping the game so it’s presentable to people, not just us internally.
New classes, levels, items, monsters, bosses, and of course original ones from Risk of Rain have been added. With the core systems in place we are able to start designing new content that adds new layers on top of the existing loop for RoR1. We want to make sure that there is a lot of fresh new content that adds to the fun, and we are holding ourselves to a higher standard of game design than in our previous games. We are trying our best to make sure there isn’t a lot of filler items or monsters.
Since announcing RoR2 we haven’t stopped getting emails or tweets asking about alpha/beta testing and how that is going to work. Because RoR2 is quite a complicated game, we will need to do a lot of testing for networking, progression, balance, and overall game feel.
We are getting to a point in development where we are starting to plan out how we want to invite people to start testing RoR2 and help us build a community for the long term. This will most likely start off with a small/private closed alpha that people can sign up for via a website (that doesnt exist yet). We will also launch an official RoR2 discord once that time arrives, so people can talk about the game and give feedback directly.
Based on the feedback of the closed alpha we will then plan our next steps depending on what requires more testing and feedback. Things like matchmaking require a large volume of people to properly test. We also have a couple new design directions that we want to hear lots of feedback for.
Now that we have a few games under our belts, we want to make sure Risk of Rain 2 is the best game we can possibly make and sustain. We want to include as many features as possible to build a growing community and continue to update the game into the future. Local co-op, online multiplayer with matchmaking, localization, discord servers and free updates are all things we think will help foster a community, but we would love to hear feedback on how we can keep the game active for the long haul. One of the most important things going forward is community engagement – and we will be opening up avenues for discussion later in development.
We’ve posted a RAW JUICY video from one of our playtests, bugs and all, as a milestone of where we are in development. While it’s obviously still a work in progress, it is representative of the direction we are taking the game. Please let us know how you feel - it’s really important that we begin to collect community feedback as early as possible.
Overall this has been a fantastic year of development for us, and I really feel like we’ve begun to make a game that everyone will have a great time playing. I’m sure that we will exceed everyone’s expectations by the time we are done :)
Get the beat here: https://imaginaryambition.bandcamp.com/track/low-fidelity
I can get some misunderstanding forcing some fights between heroes for some fanservice, but villains holding hands and working together is always hilarious. For people with huge egos and world domination agendas they sure know how to tolerate each other when needed.
This is the second part of my diary about making my first-ever game, using PICO-8. Yesterday, I grappled with ideas and fiddled around with code enough to realise that most of them are beyond me. But now I have a concept I think I can make: a game in which you push frogs into boxes. It’s called No Frog Left Behind.
And yet… I have no idea whatsoever how to start. Other than to hit escape, which brings up PICO-8’s suite of tools, and typing out its fundamental structure in an attempt to feel constructive and full of direction. … [visit site to read more]
these are so stupid but i can't help but chuckle every time
What could be more fitting in this bleak December month than player-piano covers of popular alt-rock songs that connect the untamed Wild West to our future as automatons on a quest to gain consciousness? Westworld’s soundtrack is finally getting a proper release, and I always wondered what the hell “Black Hole Son”…
Possibly the most iconic love-hate relationship in superhero history is the one between Bucky Barnes and Steve Rogers, aka Captain America. This is the 'hate' part. Check out what The Winter Solider had to stay about his star-crossed best bud in a clip from The Roast of Captain America!
Thanks to http://fun.com for helping supplying these awesome outfits!! Need a Halloween costume?? Visit them!!
Got a tip? Email us ► firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Twitter ► http://twitter.com/screenjunkies
Like us on Facebook ► http://www.fb.com/screenjunkies
Get Screen Junkies Gear! ►► http://bit.ly/SJMerch
Tell us in the comments below... WHO DO YOU WANT TO SEE ROASTED NEXT!?
The Roast of Captain America Starring...
Casper Van Dien as Captain America
Mark Ellis as Tony Stark
Nick Mundy as The Hulk
Hal Rudnick as Red Skull
Marc Andreyko as The Vision
Ify Nwadewei as Black Panther
Joseph Scrimshaw as Superman
Jenn Sterger as Black Widow
Joe Starr as Bucky Barnes
Andy Signore & Dan Murrell
Executive Produced by Andy Signore
Supervising Producer Jejuan R. Guillory
Keith Carey, Spencer Gilbert & Joe Starr
Thanking all the awesome people who were in the video. Totally wasn't expecting this haha. Thanks also to you guys who watch for being so much fun this past decade! Gah. 10 years!
Big hugs to Kristen and Rowan for organising this. You're both such great people. I often forget Kristen works at Youtube because she's become such a great friend and she shines nothing but generosity and kindness.
Rowan is... he's ok. Just kidding
The people in this (in order) :
- Greta, Adele, and Sarah (skitbox) https://www.youtube.com/user/skitboxtv They're hilarious, talented, lovely people and you'll definitely see more of them and their amazing sketch group, Skitbox.
- James Grime (singingbanana) https://www.youtube.com/user/singingbanana James is a mathematician/magician/Enigma expert/fantastic tour guide/great guy. James taught me that the movie The Imitation Game was not historically sound and made me realise I should stop pretending to know everything about the enigma machine after watching a 2 hour movie about it. James though, he knows!
- Anna Akana https://www.youtube.com/user/AnnaAkana Anna is what I think I'd be if I were better haha. Anna is a comedian, actress, writer, director, fellow cat lady, business extraordinaire. We both got parking fines for each other. That's what I tell myself.
- Louna Maroun https://www.youtube.com/user/Loopylady11 A singer/songwriter, comedian, vlogger, and all round nice person, Louna's lounaverse is always such a pleasant stop!
-Phil https://www.youtube.com/user/WongFuProductions Phil... phil, phil, phil, phil, philllllllll. Phil and his team at Wongfu make amazing sketches, shorts, films, and now a show with Youtube Red. Phil.... phil, phil, phil, phil
- Derek https://www.youtube.com/user/1veritasium Derek makes incredible Science videos - you watch one, you'll watch them all. He's also one of my close friends who I miss terribly (move back home) and if you see fancy teacups in my videos, they're ones he got me. This description really plays down how great his videos are.
- The Fine Bros (and their team!) https://www.youtube.com/user/TheFineBros my secret husbands! The Fine Brothers are ... sigh, all sorts of lovely. They're pioneers in what they do and such an iconic part of Youtube for me. They're also incredibly supportive people in the community.
- Wes https://www.youtube.com/user/WongFuProductions Wes works with Phil and is one of the many talented parts of Wongfu. Wes also has his own clothing line! He also has a whole shelf dedicated to a figurine in this video.
- Blair and Marty https://www.youtube.com/user/mightycarmods These legends. One day, a zombie apocalypse will come and they're the ones who taught us how to build a car for it. Two of the coolest guys out there who make really fun videos about cars are also talented musicians and good eggs.
- Hugh was one of the first Aussie youtubers I met and has been a great friend since. Hugh's a talented archaeologist, teacher, and very funny guy.
- Theo https://www.youtube.com/user/superwog1 Theo and his brother make videos that make me laugh before I even load them. After years (and years) of following them we got to finally meet this year and they're as nice as you could imagine.
- Joey https://www.youtube.com/user/JoeyGraceffa I don't really know who Joey is? Juuuust kidding. Joey is two thumbs up. I was lucky enough to finally meet Joey a few years ago and he was kind enough to invite me to 4th of July at his house and I got to see he was even nicer in person than he was in his videos. He's great.
- Jodie https://www.youtube.com/c/jodiefox Jodie is one of those people you meet and who immediately motivate you to be better, work harder, and do more. We met through work but have become friends (hopefully) and she has a cat that's *whispers* cuter than mine. She's also a cofounder of a shoe company that you should check out! They do vegan shoes too!
- Ami Yamato https://www.youtube.com/user/yamatoami Talk about mesmerising. The first time I watched Ami's videos I felt like I had travelled to another part of the internet. On our last trip to London, Rowan and I got to meet Ami and it was just as magical as her videos are. Ami is one of my favourite channels.
- Grace https://www.youtube.com/user/graciehinabox girlcrush, adorkable Grace is unstoppable and every time you look up, she'll be achieving something new. Her videos, books, show, and movies are only indicators of how delightful and talented Grace is.
- Wengie https://www.youtube.com/user/WWWengie Is it weird to say I've spent hours looking at pictures of Wengie? Yes? Too bad. Wengie is blowing up right now and all because of how hard she works to make fun and charming tutorials to share.