I find myself in the midst of strangers a lot, a lot - crammed onto buses, in line at a cafes, grabbing lunch at favorite spots, grocery shopping - and I can't tell you how many conversations I've overheard in the past week related to cleanses, detoxes, and diets. An unusually high number, even for January - month of fresh starts, clean slates, and focused intentions. And there seem to be two veins of conversation - the individuals excited about cleansing or fasting, and the debunkers (link, link). My immediate reaction is that you don't really need to be in one camp or the other. There might be something to inspire you in one of those programs, even if you're not going to get onboard entirely. It could be a single recipe you come to love, or a mantra you embrace. I like to look at lots of different cleanses and detoxes, because there tend to be so many positive aspects to them - I'm talking about the ones based in real, whole foods (versus supplements & powders). The menus and recipes often emphasize the power and promise of good, diverse, plant-centric ingredients, mindfully sourced. Participants end up shopping, eating, and cooking with intent - also important. And because they tend to last a week, or two, or four, they can help establish new habits. So, while extended detox stretches or diets tend not to be my thing, an overall commitment to treating your body well, in the best way you're able, is something I'm always trying to get/keep a handle on. That's a long way of saying, I find that wherever you fall on the spectrum of diets, cleanses, and detoxes, there is a lot of good content out there, particularly in January - and some of these programs can be a great source of recipes, reminders, and ideas. Beneficial, and health-promoting not just for January, but for the rest of the year as well. :) A few of the links that I've browsed this month:
- My New Roots' Winter Weekend Cleanse
- Moon Juice's Amanda Chantal Bacon does Nine Days Plant Based in Harper's Bazaar
- Detox your Mouth
- Bon Appetit Food Lovers Cleanse 2015 (the complete menu)
- Green Kitchen's Green & Clean 2015 E-Book (more here)
- Whole30 / Whole30 Veg / Vegan
- Goop Detox with Dr. Alejandro Junger
-Shira Bocar Eat Clean Videos (audio alert)
-Whole Living Action Plan (from 2013)
I also tend to turn to my Pinterest boards if I'm in a bit of a creative or cooking funk - I love seeing what resonates with people, and there are so many great collections of recipes people pin. Lot's related to clean eating - like Kate Baxter's board, or Michele Janezic's board.
- Full Moon Feast: Also, (a book rec) Jessica Prentice's book takes you through an exploration of ancient and modern connections of our foodways to the seasons through the thirteen lunar cycles of the agrarian year. An inspired read as we think about our connections to food as we move through our own calendars.
Continue reading January Cleanses & Detoxes...