What most people I know think of when you use the generic term "cake" is technically a butter cake, typically eggs and butter or oil beaten together and the dry ingredients then added, as opposed to a chiffon cake, a lighter textured cake where the egg whites are whipped separately and folded into the batter. Pound cake is butter or chiffon cake's sweet, voluptuous cousin, with rich, velvety crumb, created from not just eggs and butter but LOTS of eggs and butter!
Originally named "pound cake" for the simplicity of its ingredients: pound of butter, pound of sugar, pound of flour... it has long since been cut down to what we think of us "regular" cake size and customized in endless variations. This buttermilk and vanilla recipe is rich and. satisfying with straight-forward, simple ingredients that showcases what, to me, is almost a religiously divine combination: butter, flour, and sugar...and an oven. .
To fancy it up, add fresh strawberries or a drizzle of chocolate or caramel sauce. For me, I just cut a slice, pick it up, and don't bother dirtying a fork and plate.
Glenna's Buttermilk Pound Cake
Recipe by Glenna Anderson Muse
- 16 oz (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp good quality vanilla
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3) With mixer, cream butter and sugar until nice and fluffy. Add vanilla and one egg at a time, mixing until well incorporated and fluffy.
4) Alternate add flour mixture and buttermilk, half of each at a time, and mixing to thoroughly incorporate each add until a very homogenous, thick, and creamy batter is emerged. Do not overbeat.
5) Scoop into a greased bundt pan, using spatula to spread batter out evenly.
6) Bake for 50-60 minutes or until top is light golden brown and top feels dense to the touch. (Will read 200-205 degrees on meat thermometer stuck into middle of cake.)
Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Flip out onto plate and glaze with the following if desired:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla
Add water 1 Tbsp at a time until glaze is just pourable from the bowl or drizzle by spoon.
Pour over still warm cake.Related articles