Fuck your cherry blossoms
ThOR Boston IRL hangout, tonight, Monday, March 3, Brick & Mortar, 567 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA, 9pm, watch @multitasksuicide play some music.
(This means you, GN!)
#pizza #share http://ift.tt/NHg73q
Esse dia foi foda
Feliz volta de recesso a todos :)
What do you think you get if you add 1+2+3+4+5+... all the way on up to infinity? Probably a massively huge number, right? Nope. You get a small negative number:
This is, by a wide margin, the most noodle-bending counterintuitive thing I have ever seen. Mathematician Leonard Euler actually proved this result in 1735, but the result was only made rigorous later and now physicists have been seeing this result actually show up in nature. Amazing. (thx, chris)Leonard Euler mathematics video
This little #darkeyedjunco just ran into our patio door. http://instagram.com/p/YAJTcqtbbR/
Well this is a fascinating read.
Many hearing people think sign language is universal, but it is not. Hill, who was born deaf, studied in Italy on a Fulbright and speaks Italian, as well as ASL, Italian SL, and Black ASL.
American Sign Language developed based on the French sign language that Thomas Gallaudet learned from Clerc, so American and French signers understand one another better than British and American signers do, for example.
Hill produced a chart that showed how the schools spread across the country. But the first school for black deaf children in the South… didn’t open until 1867, in North Carolina. Southern schools remained segregated until well after Brown v. Board of Education, in 1954… So it is not surprising that deaf African-Americans developed and were taught their own version of ASL.
Photos by Austin Hodges
Photo by Meredith Edlow
Photo by Austin Hodges
Photo by Meredith Edlow
Photo by Austin Hodges
Photo by Meredith Edlow
H/T Streets Dept
HAVE YOU EVER FUCKING SEEN the Hamburger Helper? That shit is terrifying. What’s worse than that? The sodium content. Get off the salt lick and grub on some real food.
Seriously someone in HH marketing should be fired.
TUCSON TEMPEH PASTA
1 block tempeh (~8 oz.)
1 yellow onion
1 bell pepper
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon olive oil
2-3 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon liquid smoke (It is near the BBQ sauce at the store I swear. You haven’t even looked yet so stop fucking complaining.)
14 ounce can of tomatoes (make sure you don’t buy some brand full of salt)
1 pound of pasta (whole wheat, rice, quinoa, whatever the fuck you want)
juice of 1 lemon
1 cup of green peas or other vegetable
Optional: add some steamed broccoli, spinach, roasted sweet potatoes, whatever you got that you need to use up.
Cook the pasta how the box tells you to. You got this.
Chop up the onion, bell pepper, and carrots. Mince the garlic cloves up nice and small. Heat up the oil over a medium heat in a big skillet or a wok. Crumble the tempeh into little pieces with your hands and toss into the skillet. Add the veggies and cook them until the onion begins to look all golden and the tempeh bits start to brown. Add the soy sauce, spices, and garlic and cook them for about a minute. Your place should smell fucking awesome by now. You’re welcome. Now add the liquid smoke and tomatoes and let the mixture start to bubble a little. Let this all stew together for a minute or two.
Add the cooked pasta, lemon juice, and any additional veggies you picked out to the tomato mixture. Mix everything together until the pasta is nice and coated. Add more spices if you think it needs it. I like to serve mine topped with red onion, jalapenos, and cilantro but you add your favorite shit.
Serves 4-6 people as a meal (or one bad mother fucker with leftovers)
Want to play a game of Tic-Tac-Toe that's genuinely challenging and hard? Try "Ultimate Tic-Tac-Toe," in which each square is made up of another, smaller Tic-Tac-Toe board, and to win the square you have to win its mini-game. Ben Orlin says he discovered the game on a mathematicians' picnic, and he explains a wrinkle on the rules:
You don’t get to pick which of the nine boards to play on. That’s determined by your opponent’s previous move. Whichever square he picks, that’s the board you must play in next. (And whichever square you pick will determine which board he plays on next.)...
This lends the game a strategic element. You can’t just focus on the little board. You’ve got to consider where your move will send your opponent, and where his next move will send you, and so on.
The resulting scenarios look bizarre. Players seem to move randomly, missing easy two- and three-in-a-rows. But there’s a method to the madness – they’re thinking ahead to future moves, wary of setting up their opponent on prime real estate. It is, in short, vastly more interesting than regular tic-tac-toe.
what's the deal with tOR and this game? did you all own 3ds's before it came out? why?
You can’t fool me, Animal Crossing. I bought the original and played it, and it was fun, and then boring, so I turned it off. Then I bought the Nintendo DS version and I was like “Wait, this is the exact same game.” Then I bought the Wii version and it was also exactly the same. Maybe the animals talked more. I don’t remember. All I know is that if I want to pick fruit for hours and go in debt to buy a house I can do that in real life.
The new one supposedly has new features, which I’m guessing amount to “there’s more fruit to pick” and “if you pick fruit for 50 hours in a row you can get a new couch.”
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me…. four times… We won’t be fooled again.
Hawk moths may be jamming bat sonar signals by rubbing their genitals.
The behaviour, reported in Biology Letters on 3 July, creates an ultrasonic noise that could be used to scare off an attacking bat and to jam the bat's sonar.
By: Kadhim Shubber, Edited by: Nate LanxonContinue reading...
This is charming, beautiful little story brought a tear to my eye. I can’t imagine a more fitting place for that brilliant man’s words.
"Facebook, Inc is adopting the 'hashtag,' one of the most recognizable features of its younger rival Twitter, in a move to position its Web service as an important complement to television, sporting events and breaking news." -Reuters, 12 June 2013
• Thanks for the birthday wishes! I'm officially the luckiest girl alive #thanks #birthday #wishes #officially #luckiest #girl #alive
• #HERE #WE #GO #BLACKHAWKS #hockey #sports #NHL #superfan #chicity #herewego
• What's up with all the new #hashtags? #Hashtags are only funny on Twitter and then only when you use them ironically. #Boo #Facebook #your #hashtags #suck
• I always wonder who's gonna really step up & be a man & make me happy & be about their shit... only God knows #independenttypeshyt #SkewlTomorrow
• M. Night Shyamalan ghostwrote She's All That. #omg #daymade #morelikeMNightOMyGodUGhostwroteShe'sAllThat
• #DCA -> #JFK -> #LHR -> #HKG -> #SYD
• There simply aren't words that adequately describe my need and desire to be out in the world again, #traveling, #participating, #doing, #creating, #healing. Now that I've reached the end of #gradschool, I'm so ready to #takealeap. This gal wasn't designed for #strictboundaries. #letsgetit #blessed
• #Great #night with #friends, good #redwine, #NinaSimone on the #stereo, #roastpork on the #grill, #caramelizedonion and #goatcheese #tartlets to #snackon while we #wait and #Amy's #famous #flourless #darkchocolate #cake
• #Roses from my #boo #roses #boo
• Up early at the parade with Cooper! He loved the #firetrucks. #kids #joy #family #beingamom #rememberhangovers?
• My #creditscore went up 27 points! Now that's something to brag about! Forget #newshoes or a #fancycar! #winning #killinit #humblebrag #orjustabragidk
• Kyle and I just finished our first #triathlon. So #dead but feeling awesome. And it's not even 10AM! Time for #brunch with my #babe.
• Picking up my #bestfriend from the airport tonight for #weddingweekend. I can't believe we are old enough to be getting married!!! It was just yesterday we were swimming in her pool, playing on her tire swing, watching #TGIF, camping out, and driving Missy's Jetta around town with the bass turned all the way up. #weddingweekend #timeflies #lovemygirls #isntitcrazyhowlike literallyeveryoneismarriednow #everyone #literally #everyone #literallyeveryone
See more posts by Jia Tolentino
CRAZIEST Red Wedding Reaction EVER! (by effinfunny)
Barack Obama on seeing Black Orpheus with his mother in Dreams from My Father, 123-124.
It pretty much sums up the two most common reactions to the film and what is/was at stake.
Today was Free Donut Day
Aimee: “omigod it’s the Death Star on wheels! #share http://bit.ly/13hDSRu
End of day six: stones set (and watered) http://instagram.com/p/aOeRJiNbXv/